Skip to main content

Harry Potters Wizards Unite - One Year On

Visit my main blog here on www.kylewilkinsonblog.com

Harry Potter Wizards Unite - One Year On! 

This week Niantic’s most recent game turns one year old. Harry Potters Wizards unite was released on the 21st of June 2019 for Android and iOS devices. Having been a fan of Niantic’s other two similar games Pokémon Go and Ingress (Now named Ingress Prime) I decided to write my first ever review of something.
Now one year on I’d thought I would take a second look at how the game has got on with its first year live. Looking back at my original review one year ago I was disappointed with the games similarity to Pokémon GO as well as the expensive In-App purchase options. I mentioned that I was going to give the game ago in the summer and not give up on it. So, it’s about time I ask the question.

Is the game still worth playing?


Yes. I actually got into the game and still do play it. I can’t say I’m into it as much as Pokémon GO but over time I have been levelling up (Currently my wizarding level is 28). During normal gameplay you can still enjoy catching Foundables and filling in your registry. If you’ve been playing since the start by now you might of Prestiged several of the pages in the registry. This allows you to get more Wizarding challenge runestones as well getting more scrolls for your chosen profession.

Throughout the year HPWU has hosted several special events (And community days) where you need to complete a series of tasks for special rewards. Along the way there will be a special registry to complete in the events section. Another cool feature Niantic added in the past year was a feature originally released in Pokémon Go called “Adventure Sync”. This allows you to close the game and still be able to unlock your Portkeys during your day. It does this by looking at your step count from the Apple health app.
Was the problem with In-App purchases as bad as I originally thought?
No. Something I spoke about in my original review was how It felt like you were always prompted to spend in game coins and I suppose you still are but if you save it is surprisingly easy to get the coins required by completing the daily tasks as well as the log in bonuses. Not just that but at the start of every special event there is a bumper pack of stuff you can get for free in the store.

How’s it competing with Niantic’s over games?

If your interested in some numbers about how much Revenue HPWU made this is for you.
Looking at data from SensorTower[1] in May 2020 HPWU made a total of $1 Million revenue. Sounds like a decent amount and it is but Niantic’s Pokémon Go made a total of $58 Million.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands On WatchOS 6 - An Opinion

Good morning, Along with iOS 13, Apple announced WatchOS 6 at WWDC. The Apple Watch is one of my favorite Apple products. This year they announced several new features and below I talk about some of the new upcoming features with the Update. New Watch faces This year we see 5 new watch faces join us, These are Solar Dial, Gradient, California, Numeral Duo / Mono and Modular compact. My personal favorite watch face to use is the Infograph modular. It’s so useful being able to see this much information all from my wrist and I use it all the time because of that I can see the Modular compact being the most useful for me out of the new watch faces. This new face allows either an analogue or digital clock along with 2 circular complications and one big complication at the bottom that is similar to the one of the Infograph modular. For those of you who love to simply look at the time on your wrist the Gradient and Numerals Duo / Mono will be great for you. They both only te...

My First 10 parkruns at 10 different parkruns.

This post looks better on Kyle Wilkinson Online - Check It out here ->   https://www.kylewilkinsononline.com/post/my-first-10-parkruns-at-10-different-parkruns This week I’m writing a slightly different post. It’s all about parkrun, if you haven’t already heard of it it’s where you complete a 5K organized timed run for free and last year I finally completed my first 10, at 10 different locations. This little post is my journey on my first 10 parkruns. 1.       Blackpool (32:35) I actually did my first parkrun all the way back in 2017 in what the most northern parkrun is currently I have done. I got a time of 32:35 and the main reason I did it was to prove a point. You do not need to buy special clothes to do running. So yes, I wore a T-shirt and a pair of black jeans whilst doing this run. I didn’t think it was too bad. The biggest irony of it is since this I have in fact purchased running shoes, a pair of shorts and a running t-shirt....

iOS 13 - Hands on! (An opinion)

Good evening,  This is my hands on write up of iOS 13. At the moment I have iOS 13 Developer Beta 01 installed on my iPhone X and have been running it for about a week and a half, First let’s look at the key new features. You can check out my gallery of screenshots at the bottom of the post. Dark Mode The one everyone has been asking for, In my opinion dark mode took so long to arrive because of Apples key eye to detail. Every screen, every button and every character has been redesigned and optimized to look its best for the greatest mobile operating system in the world. As you can see in the pictures below the dark mode is applied system wide and can be easily configured to come on automatically with sunset and sunrise or it can be manually triggered in the control center in the same place as you would for Night Shift or True Tone. Reminders Reminders was completely rebuilt from the ground up! With a new more organized home screen. The app automatically groups y...